Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Much rather read

Finished tonight The Master and Margarita, a lovely, stupendous book. Reading it is like hearing the work of a world-famous composer for the first time, you feel as if you've been missing something. But it's so full of style and literary allusions, 90% of which I don't catch. Reading such masterpieces I'm like a dog watching a baseball game: I don't really follow most of what's going on, though I do enjoy the general athletic air and the sight of men running to and fro. It takes someone like Lizzard to read with all the appreciation such a book should be read with.

Then I turned on the TV for a few moments and turned it off in five minutes. There was something good on, too -- the HBO film Dirty War, being shown on PBS. And on another channel there was Countdown, a show I usually enjoy. But I just couldn't watch, and not just because I'd just finished a splendid book. I haven't felt like watching TV for a few weeks.

I'm sure I'll get over my aversion when baseball season starts, however.

General call: If you live in the snow-covered Twin Cities and you are a good-looking very smart male nerd, I have just the person for you. Act now, this offer will probably not be available for long.

No comments: