Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Moore in Boston

You know, I'm not a big fan of Michael Moore. I'm really not. Yet I keep blogging his exploits, because he keeps saying compelling things. here's a section of Salon's DemoCon blog reporting on Moore's speech to an activist Democrat group. Among the highlights:

  • Moore admonished the crowd that it would take unrelenting hard work to remove the Bush administration in November. "They will not go easy. Believe me, they're better fighters than we are. They eat hate for breakfast. They're going to fight, smear and hate all the way. So we have got to get out there and counter it with the truth." The right-wing likes to claim the flag as its own, added Moore, but they're not true patriots -- "they're hate-riots."

  • Even though the movie has already made more money than any other Disney film released this year, Moore observed, the company decided to dump the film. Moore said it took Canadian journalists to figure out why. He credited newspeople from the north with breaking the story that a wealthy Saudi family owns 17 percent of Euro Disney, after saving the company's troubled division with a $300 million bailout, in a deal brokered by the Carlyle Group.

  • "You know the thing I hear over and over from people who see my film is, 'I never saw those black congressman (protesting the 2000 presidential election) being shut down one after the other on the floor of Congress, I didn't see that riot at the Bush inauguration, I never saw any amputees in military hospitals complaining about the war.' So our humble plea to those of you in the press is, 'We the people need you to do your jobs.'"

No comments: