Thursday, August 19, 2004

Agent orange

Cute and short interview with a young literary agent on Gawker today. (Gawker has been trying to get my attention for several days now by claiming they do a daily interview, but this is the first one that's caught my attention enough to even notice that they actually do post interviews.)

Her big tip: Proofread your query letter. Hey, if they were setting the bar that low, I would have gotten an agent a year ago. Her next tip: She favors brevity, mentioning a favorite author who gets it done in 200 pages.

Wow, I would be so busted there -- except only one of the eight agents who've rejected my book even got to notice that it was 490 pages long; the others rejected it after reading only the first three chapters, or 45 pages. You think they could tell after those 45 pages that I wasn't going to wrap things up in another 155 pages? Could be.

No comments: