Friday, October 14, 2005

Bummer of a literary debut

This piece on debut novelist Sean Rowe (Fever) starts out with a wild red herring of the guy getting hit by a frieght train. Once we're done with that, it settles down into a wry list of why getting his novel published hasn't been the turning point in his life he expected: He's still broke, friends wish for his failure, ex-lovers seize betrayal opportunities, and you'll become a media whore. Wow, things are rough all over.

In other news, my friends at Cleis Press asked me to contribute to a nonfiction anthology about sex. Deadline's tomorrow. I'm trying to decide whether to take some speed and bang something out, or just get real and tell them I don't have anything. If I were Marilyn, I would definitely choose the former (not that she needs any simulants to produce a few thousand words at the drop of a hat). Marilyn is amazing. She wrote a novella over the weekend or something. Same thing with Rachel K-B -- these women are amazingly prolific.

No comments: