Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Sinister little building

From time to time I still put in work on the web layout project for a Lutheran pro-gay group. (Their website is not what I've been working on, but a CD of resources they distribute.) My work is complete now except for occasional changes they request and getting them more CDs when they need it. I get the CDs duplicated by a little CD dupe shop that I found on the internet, located in Mountain View. Their main advantages were that they were not too far from my day job and they don't mind doing small jobs of 100 CDs at a time.

I love going to the dupe shop, which is located in an anonymous little industrial strip building on a major thoroughfare. It's the kind of place where, if you didn't know it was there, you'd miss the driveway altogether. Then if you actually find yourself in the parking lot, the building itself is utterly without characteristics, not to mention signage -- just a cement and steel one-story tilt-up job, seventy yards long and 90 feet deep. There are a number of doors off the parking lot, some with letters only, some with meaningless company names like Inferix or Alltara -- whatever it says, it all seems more like a front for some secret agency or other.

Not that this affects the dupe house's ability to do the job quite well and on time. But I know that guy's wearing a toupee!

No comments: