Monday, October 03, 2005

Lynndie: Reality at Abu Ghraib was worse than what photos showed

England: I mean it was just awful. They'd put curtains on the shower windows and door and locked it. And when I come up to visit one night, I mean you could hear him screaming they had the shower on to muffle it but it wasn't helping. This guy was screaming.

Interviewer: Screaming in pain?

England: Yeah. But they wouldn't let us see because they had the doors shut. And they're like "Oh, he’s enjoying his shower." I mean they never screamed like that when we were humiliating. But his guy was like screaming bloody murder. I mean it still haunts me I can still hear it just like it happened yesterday.

Interviewer: The Army, the Defense Department, even the commander-in-chief himself -- all say this was a small group of out of control soldiers, freelancing all of this humiliation, that no one was ordered, and there was no way any of this would have been approved by superiors.

England: Well, they're wrong. 'Cause it was. Pictures were out throughout the prison. The higher-ups knew. They'd seen the pictures. But they were just like, "Oh, I didn't see that."

No comments: