Thursday, October 06, 2005

Cracks in the facade

Earlier this week I wrote "All you need to know about the Miers pick... (is that) Focus on the Family's James Dobson has endorsed her."

Now Dobson is showing signs of strain after many conservatives voiced their doubts on the nominee, who has never been a judge and whose background indicates some sympathy for feminist causes. Dobson is quoted in the Rocky Mountain News as saying on his national radio broadcast Wednesday:

An anguished James Dobson prayed Wednesday for a sign from God, telling his Christian radio listeners he was questioning his early endorsement of Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers. ... Dobson prayed he was not making a mistake.

"Lord, you know I don't have the wisdom to make this decision," Dobson said. "You know that what I feel now and what I think is right may be dead wrong." He added that he worried that his position "could do something to hurt the cause of Christ, and I'd rather sacrifice my life than do that." ...

He also confirmed reports that he received a special briefing from Bush's political adviser, Karl Rove, but still will not discuss the talks in detail. "When you know some of the things I know -- that I probably shouldn't know -- that take me in this direction, you'll know why I've said with fear and trepidation (that) I believe Harriet Miers will be a good justice," Dobson said in a broadcast with co-host John Fuller.

"And John, if I have made a mistake here, I will never forget it. The blood of those babies who will die will be on my hands to a degree. Lord, if I am right, confirm it, and if I am wrong, chastise me and I will repent of it and come before these microphones."

In a press conference Tuesday, Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Denver, demanded that the White House give senators whatever information it gave Dobson.

Emphasis mine. Yes, very strange. Dobson is not a Jimmy Swaggart type. He doesn't go teary-eyed before the microphones to confess weakness; in fact, he never shows weakness. Is this angonizing all just an act? A theatrical moment to manipulate his millions of listeners into even stronger support of the nomination?

No comments: