Monday, October 16, 2006

Cary Tennis's uneventful vacation


Q. Sir, has anyone unknown to you asked you to carry anything on board?

A. The issue of baggage is one we all deal with. And eventually, we all realize it's up to us what we carry around and what we choose to leave behind. In my case, my unusual first name has been a double-edged sword. Not only do people ask me to carry things all the time -- they just make assumptions. "Hey Tennis -- carry this!" It gets tiring.

Now, in my job as a famous internet columnist, people burden me with their questions, their cares, their concerns -- many of them completely stupid and lame. Why do you think I'm going on vacation?

Q. Where to, buddy?

A. That's the question we all ask ourselves from time to time -- and hopefully we can be just as kind to ourselves as this interlocutor was to me. "Buddy," indeed -- we should all befriend ourselves. Only then can we really determine where we want to go in life.

Q. Eating here -- or to go?

A. It's time we all slowed down a little. Despite the knot of noisy teenagers by the window, despite the sleepy, slobbering homeless gent in the corner, I believe I will "eat here." I will eat here now; be here now. Then I will go.

Being here. Then going. That's what life is all about.

Q. We have your room reserved through the 17th, is that correct, sir?

A. Finally, a simple question. Yes. Thank you.

No comments: