Saturday, April 14, 2007

Airport II

The Frankfurt airport, where I change planes and catch Lufthansa to Bangalore. As one might expect of Germans, the airport is extremely modern, vast, and offers a wide array of every possible service. It's also extensively signed, which is fortunate since to the transit passenger there is no logical layout -- no obvious concourses off a central hub, as in most other airports. In fact, I'm sure there are hubs and concourses, but the whole thing is so vast, and punctuated with escalators, advertising signs, luggage cart vending machines, cafes and shops that you can't get a sense of the layout.

But thanks to the signage I find my gate easily. I also notice the little internet kiosks -- these steel wedges with screens and keyboards hanging off them. It's two Euros for the first five minutes, another Euro for five minutes after that. Fortunately I have already purchased some water and I have in my pocket 3 euros, so I send a quick email home and check the score of the Giants game from Friday night (where the game has just ended three hours ago, but I'm already 9 hours ahead of San Francisco).

No comments: