Saturday, April 21, 2007

Tout

On Saturday morning I walked down to Brigade Road, the center of the tourist district, to cash some travellers checks. I had to wait about 40 minutes before the Thomas Cook office opened, and an Indian guy started talking to me. At first I thought he was just being friendly, but then he began telling me he had an auto nearby and would love to take me to a handicrafts shop for souveniers. I resisted this ploy and finally walked off, telling the guy I was going to get some coffee. But I had to wait outside the Cafe Coffee Day, which was just opening, and before I knew it, there he was again, this time driving his auto. He pulled up and motioned to me with a big grin.

Sighing, I went over to him and said, "Friend, thanks for talking to me, but I'm not getting into your auto." Then I walked off up Brigade Road where, as it happens, autocabs are forbidden.

I cashed my travellers checks and walked up to M.G. Road to get an auto to my next destination, brunch with metblogger Ravi. I had no sooner crossed the road than the guy showed up again. I was supposed to call Ravi so he could give the driver directions to the restaurant on Airport Road where we were to meet. As I was standing trying to give the phone to the driver of the auto I had chosen, the tout sprang up and took it out of my hands and started talking to Ravi. Then he translated the directions at length to the driver whose auto I was going to take.

For this service, I decided to give him 10 rupees (25 cents). But he refused to take it (though he did give me the phone back, of course). "Later we go shopping!" he cried, as I climbed into the other guy's conveyance and puttered away.

No comments: