Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Military presence

I'm sure there's a historical explanation for the very visible presence in Bangalore of military installations. Right in the middle of town there is a "parade ground" consisting of a big rectangle of the red-orange dirt, and across the road there is a zone, taking up several city blocks, with a number of military offices. People in San Francisco might think of the Presidio -- if the Presidio took up the entire area between Mission and Bryant Streets between 3rd and 7th. And there are these military installations, buildings and grounds all over the city. You can't go a mile down the road without seeing one.

Once I am able to post photographs I will link to pictures I will take in a moment. I see that from the little balcony outside this little internet way station on the second floor of a building (without wi-fi, naturally -- haven't found it yet), I can see over the wall into one of these military compounds. It consists of a bunch of little stucco buildings that look more like the grounds of a disused California mission than a military base. On the plus side, there are a lot of trees, and I guess they are keeping their very large part of the city from being developed into the sprawling jumble that characterizes the part of the city they don't control.

No comments: