Thursday, April 19, 2007

Much quieter day

Today, for the first time, I did not make a long, sweaty walk a large part of the day. In fact, if I had been better able to direct the auto driver to the intersection of Residency Road and Brigade Road, I would hardly have to walk at all. As it was, I walked about ten minutes in the morning heat, and that was enough. I was grateful for the air conditioning, and the wireless connection, of Cafe Coffee Day. I uploaded all the photos I took yesterday, including a set consisting of about 45 pictures along a half mile of Infantry Road around the corner from where I'm staying. I chose it because the combination of buildings in various states of construction, use, and destruction, illustrates better than I have been able to do in words the seeming anarchy of the cityscape. I tried to take a picture of every building in a three or four block stretch, from Main Guard Road to Central Street.

Seeing these, Cris wrote to me: Bangalore looks a lot less frantic than you make it out to be. That's because I took these photos at dawn!

Also, don't miss the pictures of the little procession I happened upon in a neighborhood... the name of which is too complicated for me to quite remember. It's directly east of Malleswaram proper.

Today I have done no exploring. In fact, after my trip to the internet, I got home a little after noon and took a three-hour nap, because I'm going out tonight with some local bloggers. Since I've been crapping out at about 8:00 pm the last few mights, I wanted to be able to stay up later. The side benefit was that when I woke up I had a clear head and was able to work very productively on my book for a couple of hours.

Then the power went out again, so I wasn't able to recharge my laptop battery. So I came back to the little internet place.

No comments: