Saturday, October 09, 2004

Another Saturday indoors

Now having recovered from my cold -- those Nighttime Tylenol pills are pretty good -- and having finally left my church secretary job for good, I spent all day Friday and today down at my new job. I've gotten all set up equipment and software-wise, now I'm trying to get up to speed with the knowledge. I spent some time today refreshing my knowledge of SQL and then running through my limited repertoire when it comes to the company's products. At the end of the day, I sent an email to my boss asking him to show me a few basic things on Monday. I can't doc these products if I can't figure out how to use them.

I guess I'm going to have to come up with a euphemism for the company I'm working for now. When I was working last year at a Borders I referred to it as "the l.n.c.b." so I wouldn't embarrass my friend the manager who hired me there. And while I was working at the church, I didn't even blog about my work, much less reveal where I was working. I've come to think it's a good idea to be a little discrete. So why don't we call my new employer the d.b.t.s.

No, I'm not billing my blogging time, either. When I'm a full time employee with a salary, that's one thing. When I'm a contractor, I like to keep it really clean.

No comments: