Saturday, October 02, 2004

Nice work if you can get it

Here's a sign I'm back working in the software industry: I take note of a big firing in the tech world. That link goes to the only part of the story of interest to non-techy people: the CEO who got booted is getting over $10 million in "compensation" for ruining his company. Scheiss! And how much you want to bet -- despite the fact that he never has to work again, nor does anyone in his family, unto the fourth generation -- the same guy will be back in charge of a company within a year or two.

I interviewed at that company a couple months ago, when I was starting my job search. Am I ever glad I didn't get that job. Talk about uncertainty -- despite the fact I've just gone to work for a startup that might not be here 10 or 12 months from now, I'd rather be here than there.

Though it's Saturday, I've spent much of the day at my new job, working through a tutorial for the company's products. Curiously, this tutorial is not on the list of stuff I have to update; it has a lot of faults and several errors. Worst of all, it doesn't really explain anything, just tells you how to open this and propogate that.

Also listening to the Giants game. Giants led through whole game, now on verge of losing in bottom of ninth. Yikes! The tension! Update: Egad, the Giants ended up blowing a three-run lead and losing 7-3.

        1 2 3   4 5 6   7 8 9   R H E

- - - - - - - - - - - -
SF 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 3 6 2
LA 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 7 7 0

No comments: