Friday, October 01, 2004

Pain in the neck

I spent nearly all day down at my new job as a tech writer. Got my P4 environment set up and synched (that will make sense only to those of you who have worked in software engineering) and started in on my doc plan. By 4 pm I had the most godawful case of tension in my neck and shoulders. I'm going to have to figure out how to work at that desk without totally messing up my posture.

Came home and got out this giant foam thingy the chiropractor sold us. It's a long cylinder of hard foam, about 10 inches in diameter and three feet long. You put it down on the ground and slowly roll back and forth over it like rolling off a log. It did help iron out the kinks. Then I got on the treadmill and did my 4 miles while watching TV. There's a cable show on MSNBC -- I swear I'm the only person I know who ever watches that channel -- hosted by a former Republican congressman named Joe Scarborough. It's generally a very conservative show -- MSNBC trying to poach viewers from Fox. But the host opened it up with a "commentary" in which he utterly freedom-fried Bush for his miserable performance in last night's debate, which he termed, among other things, "a disgrace." I'll update this entry with the transcript when they post it tomorrow.

After the 4 miles I felt a lot better. Why is it that you come home from work exhausted, wanting to do nothing but collapse, but you feel better after you walk 4 miles on top of everything else you've done that day? Sure didn't hurt that Cris made spaghetti sauce. Wow!

No comments: