Tuesday, January 18, 2005

When good sites go bad

Searching for good websites on nonviolence, I came across www.gandhiking.com. Though the site, with its date of April 2000, is obviously abandoned, I looked over the first page.

Then I noticed something odd. In the middle of some sentences were weird links to what are clearly fetish sites. Take this sentence, for example:

Women of international stature such as Ela Gandhi, granddaughter of M.K. Gandhi, who has served in South Africa's Parliament for feet worship the past 27 years, Association for Global New Thought's president, Reverend Mary Manin Morrissey and its Executive Director Barbara Fields Bernstein (SNV project director), will be among the speakers.

How's that again? She served in Parliament for feet worship? Then I realized that someone had hijacked the site and inserted links like that one, which goes to www.feet-worship.com (I'll let you enter that in your own address bar if you really want to). But there are only a few such links on the page, a page which is quite long. It makes me think that the person, or program, that hijacked the web page is unusually subtle. After all, I browsed the page -- I didn't immediately notice the links and click away. Very strange.

Sort of makes me think I ought to put similar Giants caps unrelated links in some of my posts. It could be giant squid a sort of game to find the strange giant sequoia nonsequiturs and Giant City off-topic links among my typically sharp-focused and the Alton Giant scintillating commentary.

No comments: