Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Another babe in the woods

Either this guy is ripe for being scammed, or is trying to launch a scam of his own:

Looking for an agent...

Hi, I'm looking for an agent to represent me. I have published two books (one fiction and one anthology) and have been published in a handful of reputable publications as well. Please feel free to e-mail me if you wish to discuss.

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

In my research on how to get an agent, I ran across many approaches but never this one. Let me quote from a recent Miss Snark entry:

Some agents have full client lists. They might take on one or two new clients a YEAR, if that. They get those clients by referral: from editors, other agents, their authors or other seriously connected to the lit world folks. Those agents don't want a slush pile. They are also the ones most likely to get slush cause they're successful.

On the outside chance that the Craigslist poster is sincere and simply incredibly naive, let me direct him to the Miss Snark blog. Read the whole thing and all the archives. Then you'll understand what an agent does and how to go about getting one (and especially how not to go about it).

No comments: