Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Today's satire, today

Writing in the New York Times, Campbell Robertson gives the celebrity breakup of Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey the full Monday morning quarterbacking pundit treatment, complete with the furrowed-brow single sentence paragraph:

Were we, as Americans, misled?

In The Onion, the best bit is perhaps the pumpkin pie chart showing "What Are We Giving Thanks For?" The Indians, for sharing their land; panda weddings.

Meanwhile the online personals company that runs on the Onion's site, plus Nerve and SFGate and God knows who else, Spring Street Networks, continues to feature that girl (left) who wants to hang out "in some moss by the water."

In some moss? I guess Hurricane Katrina wasn't enough for her.

Speaking of Louisiana, the story Goat Attacks Couldn't Keep Her From Church, in the Alexandria, La. Town Talk, is not satire at all.

"I don't know how I was able to get in the car that fast. I think God must have picked me up and put me there."

That's not satire, folks. That's the news.

No comments: