Friday, November 25, 2005

Buy Nothing Day

Famous Twin Cities shopper Girl Friday shops not on the day after Txg, also known variously as "Black Friday" (because of profits) or Buy Nothing Day. She commemorates Fridays otherwise, and I for one stand with her in that effort.

You don't have to shop if you want to go out. Too Beautiful recommends the following films now playing:
Capote
Shopgirl
Good Night, and Good Luck
The Passenger

About that last: The Passenger was one of my favorite movies during my college years, when I probably saw it six or seven times. I loved the sophisticated European setting, the existentialist theme, and Maria Schneider's butt. I loved the fact that Jack Nicholson looked totally great covered in dust and sand wearing a faded green polo shirt. I loved the Spanish landscapes and the flamenco music that plays under the end credits. And Maria Schneider is probably the reason I have always had the hots for Latin or Mediterranean women with dark curly hair.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go bowling, too?

Anonymous said...

Does that movie have anything to do with the Iggy Pop song?

Mark Pritchard said...

Hmm, I don't know the song, but I looked at the lyrics and I don't think so.

Chris C. said...

Yeah, Schneider's probably the reason I always have, too. *evil grin*

Mark Pritchard said...

Badger, I seem to have been wrong when I said the Iggy Pop song was unrelated to the film The Passenger. This article about Antonioni's earlier film Zabriskie Point says Iggy Pop did take the title of the song from Antonioni's film:
http://www.sci.fi/~phinnweb/links/cinema/directors/antonioni/zabriskie/

Anonymous said...

And how odd - web synchronicity - or IS it? - that I was just reading banubula and he mentioned Antonioni...