Thursday, December 28, 2006

Only 25 months later

Hurrah for me, for I have finished the first draft of the novel I've been working on for the last two years, "Dear Prudence." It's about an American girl who is sent by her employer to open up a customer service call center in Bangalore. Comic cultural collisions ensue, and she learns a lot about independence and being her own person.

Read an excerpt (8 page PDF file).

The book was begun in November 2004 for National Novel Writing Month.

I'll spend the next couple of weeks making little adjustments, then send it to my agent, who to her credit has not been holding her breath.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Never having been able to get past chapter 3 in my feeble attempts to write novels I appreciate how difficult a challenge actually completing one is.

Hope your agent likes it.

Happy New Year.

Chris C. said...

Whew! Congratulations! Something about that New Year's deadline really gets you moving, seems like! :)

Seriously, I'm super pleased and really proud of you. It's a big deal. I liked the chapter. It moves right along, very clear and engaging. Even in this short clip the characters feel like individuals and the place has substance.

I'm wishing the manuscript good fortune. My fingers are crossed!

Mark Pritchard said...

Jackadandy, I'm glad the interview with the medical transcriptionist passed your inspection! Actually, I stole it pretty much from a news story published a few years ago.