Friday, September 09, 2005

It's Bad Behavior Friday™!

As if he weren't already the most hated man in America, FEMA chief Michael Brown is accused of a little resume padding -- that's putting it nicely. If true, what he's accused of would get him instantly fired from most companies or schools. But this is Georgey World, and we just live in it.

Badger continues blogging from the Astrodome, and that's Bad Behavior just because I know she's down there breaking rules and twitting authority left and right. And yet she says something that astounds me:

The police, police of all stripes, in the Astrodome have been the most kind and humane people in authority that I have met. Every time I talked to them they were like some kind of childhood caricature of the Kindly Policeman. They were nice. They were polite. They were respectful to everyone that I saw. Best of all, they did not adhere blindly to rules.

I have never in my life heard the Houston Police called kind and humane, but I have no reason to doubt her. It's just kind of amazing.

An SF Chronicle reporter is confronted by a New Orleans police SWAT team and their big, big guns. Then a "security contractor" hried by Hearst to protect its reporters rushes out of their house and starts screaming at the cops. Good fun was had by all. BoingBoing links to a newspaper layout illustrating this militarized reality; NBC newser Brian Williams first reported this media-under-the-gun dynamic.

No comments: