Friday, September 30, 2005

Hot trends on the literary scene

Tonight is your chance to celebrate with my friend Katia Noyes the publication of her book Crashing America. The party is tonight at 7 pm at Varnish Fine Arts, 77 Natoma in SF [ map it ]

Yesterday before and after my little medical moment, I read n + 1 magazine, which has gotten a lot of publicity because of its author Benjamin Kunkel (who has gotten a lot of publicity because of his new novel Indecision). I did really like n+1. It has a lot of interesting stuff in it -- mostly, to my surprise, nonfiction.

Among the way-too-many books I bought this month is Yiyun Li's A Thousand Years of Good Prayers. I first heard of it at Squaw from NPR book reviewer Allan Cheuse, who led one of our workshops -- he said it was extraordinary. If this article is any sign, this book will be huge, huge. Think of the market! Middle class Asians, diversity-minded college students, fans of Amy Tan, and half the book clubs in the country. All for a short story collection. Go Yiyun. (Her name is her only obstacle to success. And the title of her book isn't the easiest thing to remember either.)

No comments: