Monday, May 29, 2006

Another, better list

Now that the controversy over the NYT Book Review's Best Fiction of the Last 25 Years is dying down, here comes another list, and this one I can really get behind. Playboy picked the 25 Sexiest Novels (thanks to Marilyn for the link), and I was cheered to see not only classic erotica (Story of O; Vox; and my fellow Cleis Press author Molly Weatherfield's Carrie's Story) and novels which might appear on any list of the best books of the last several decades (Lolita; Portnoy's Complaint; The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles; Fear of Flying).

But the best part? Missing from the list was "9 1/2 Weeks." The fact that they left that off gave the list instant credibility with me. And I totally love that they included Judy Blume's Forever.

Of course, they could have included queerer choices, but it's Playboy, whatta you expect? I'm also surprised they left off DeSade, since they do include Fanny Hill (1749), but again -- too intense for Playboy's readers.

, ,

No comments: