Thursday, May 04, 2006

Just part of the game

For you baseball fans, there's a nice picture of Giants catcher Todd Greene doing a face-plant (permalink) somewhere far from the plate as Brewers outfielder/wide receiver Prince Fielder belly-flops home for a run. According to the story:

Prince Fielder, looking almost as big as his dad Cecil, barreled into catcher Todd Greene, as Greene stood just down the third-base line awaiting Fielder, the ball firmly in his glove. Fielder walloped Greene in the head and Greene fell back toward the plate, his mask flying off. As he rolled on the ground, he let the ball out of his glove and then shook his glove off his hand so he could put both hands on his head. By the time the ump got around Greene, the ball was on the ground, and the ump called Fielder safe.

Sounds a lot like what happened to me in a softball game once. One moment I was blocking the plate with the ball in my glove with some big oaf bearing down on me, the next thing I knew I was lying on my head somewhere near the backstop, the ball rolling away.

Not to mention that climactic moment in game 4 of the 2003 Nat'l League playoffs when Pudge Rodriguez of the Marlins tagged out J.T. Snow to win the series for the fish. Photo of the play. But in that play the catcher held onto the ball despite the fierce collision; the photo clearly shows the tag being made before J.T. touched the plate. Man, that's one play I'll never forget, even though the Giants lost.

Another thing; I miss J.T., who is mouldering on the bench in Boston.

No comments: