Friday, May 05, 2006

What are you working on? : Joshua Davis

The rugged-looking and adventuresome Joshua Davis, journalist and erstwhile arm wrestling competitor, is the latest subject in my series of interviews with writers on their current projects.

Where (George Plimpton) did all the big league sports, I've been involved in overlooked and marginalized ones. I think there are very different lessons to be learned when you are dealing with people who do a sport as a hobby. I'd argue that their intensity for their game is more intense than the pro athlete because it's an object of desire -- something they would like to do all the time but can't. So it becomes infused with this great passion.

Davis will be appearing with me at Inside Story Time on May 18 -- see the listing at the top of this page.

No comments: