Thursday, March 23, 2006

Adventures in book publicity

Want a harried reviewer to get into your book? Mark sections with post-its that say something like "If you can only read a bit, just read these pages." That's how it works for Jenna Crispin, the founder of Bookslut:

I started reading Marisha Pessl's Special Topics in Calamity Physics because the publicist had actually tabbed sections for me to read. It seemed like so much work to go through, I had to stop and take a look. And right now, I'm hooked.

I guess she means that she appreciated all the effort the publicist had gone to. Anyway, it's a cool idea, especially if your first few paragraphs are sort of not flashy. Because, you know, we can't all have great first lines, or such a great, if slightly confusing, title. (I wonder if the book gets mis-shelved in the science section, in the same way "Trout Fishing in America" used to be ordered by unwitting sporting goods stores.)

, ,

No comments: