Tuesday, March 28, 2006

How writers are born

An Iowa college student decided that spending almost two days in a Wal-Mart might be a good idea for an article. After 41 hours he couldn't stand it anymore, and went home, "convinced his project was a failure" (I guess he didn't think up any angles during the sojourn).

Then local media heard about the stunt and started calling. He appeared on "Good Morning America." He got a book agent. NPR called, he's doing Letterman...

Bartels said he's surprised by the attention, but it's like a dream for anyone with hopes of ever becoming a writer.

"Whereas, I think the project itself is a failure, I could use this media stuff as a third leg of a book if I wrote it, about how America eats this stuff up," he said. "I'm incredibly happy with the press coverage. It would be kind of silly not to accept it with open arms."

And all without writing a word! There's a young man with a future.

No comments: