Thursday, March 30, 2006

What are you working on? : Ericka Lutz

Just posted in my series of interviews with authors about their current projects, fiction and non-fiction writer Ericka Lutz, who says:

I've spent the last few years learning how to write good short stories, which require a tight focus. Novels are a bigger canvas, so while you get to make bigger strokes (easier!) you also need to cover more ground (harder!). So I'm working on finding this novel's pace and voice. The beginning stages -- and this means many months -- of a project don't always feel rewarding as I struggle to answer the big questions: what am I writing about? Why? Who cares?

I've completed two novels that are unpublished -- though I've published widely in other areas -- so this one is the keeper. It's hard to write another novel when the first two remained unwanted. It's a challenge to leave myself at the studio door, to get out of my own way.

, ,

No comments: