Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Indian women blog against sexual harrassment

Today (Mar. 7) in India female bloggers are blogging tales of sexual harrassment in a campaign called the Blank Noise Project.

Here's just one sample:

I was groped in a train when I was 12. I was coming out of the train toilet, when an old man( in his 50's I guess) pushes himself onto me and squeezes my butt. I scurried around him and I run to my mom. I never left her side for the rest of the journey. I was felt up my skirt(my school skirt) within a matter of weeks after the train incident, by the bus conductor, in a pretense of helping me get down from the crowded bus. My breasts have been pinched SEVERAL times in crowded areas and while sitting in an auto during a traffic signal.

Almost every woman goes through the same harassment every day in one form or the other.

, , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder why that's so commonplace in that culture?

I was groped at the mall about 2 years ago. I was standing in front of the scarf case, and some guy walked behind me and grabbed my ass. I turned around to see him duck out the exit just ten feet away. It was a very strange experience. I didn't even feel violated. It was just... weird.