Thursday, March 16, 2006

What are you working on? : Binnie Kirshenbaum

I'm excited to be able to post my latest in the series of interviews with writers talking about their current projects: widely published novelist and writing teacher Binnie Kirshenbaum, author of several novels and story collections.

Each draft seems to present its own set of challenges. Right now, I'm stuck on the shape of it. There are two stories intertwined, one very much in the present and the other about nothing but the past. It's finding the balance, a way to keep the present story alive while going back in time with which I am currently struggling. ... The last draft, I know, is a two week or so process. I read it over a bunch of times with the red pencil in hand, taking out whatever is clunky, awkward, unnecessary. The drafts between now and then... I'm aiming for two months on each.

, , ,

No comments: