Friday, April 07, 2006

What are you working on? : Noelle Oxenhandler

Just posted in my series of interviews with writers, New Yorker writer and essayist Noelle Oxenhandler, whose latest project is about three wishes.
The book I'm working on now is tentatively titled An Experiment in Desire. It's both a memoir of my own experiment in making three very different wishes come true, and it's an exploration of the ancient human art of wishing. ... Having been raised as a Catholic and then discovered Buddhism as a young adult, I'm very oriented toward accepting the reality of suffering and then seeking to transcend it through spiritual realization. The idea of making a quasi-spiritual practice of wishing for concrete, tangible things in your life is quite foreign to me. Of course, this supplies a certain dramatic tension for the book -- but it also means that I'm fighting my own resistance much of the time.

, ,

No comments: