Saturday, November 27, 2004

I'm mister boring

Sometimes my life is just so fun, like when I get to do a reading or attend a social fête. Now it's boring, because all I'm doing is going to work and coming home. And: go to morning prayer Monday through Friday. Exercise and watch television. Surf the web. Some reading. Coming up in the next couple weeks, I'll do another issue of the church newsletter. But all in all, a mundane period.

I stalled on my November novel. It's awful hard to write about someplace you've never been. I find myself tempted to treat Bangalore as simply a dustier version of Niigata, Japan, the city where I taught English in the late 80s. (Man, a long time ago now.) But that's probably not such a great idea. What would make it interesting would be the particularities of the place, not the similarities. So I'm not sure how to move forward. Maybe just make it all very internal for the main character.

In any case, I'm entering another crunch time at work. I put in a full day Friday (the day after Txg) and a half day today (the day after that), so I'd have a lot of progress to show when people walked in on Monday. The project -- a training class in the company's software -- is due on the 15th. By the following week, things should be genuinely slower.

No comments: