Monday, November 22, 2004

No attachment

Though the title came to me in a dream, and launched me into participation in National Novel Writing Month, I changed the title of my NaNo today to Dear Prudence. I had already established that the characters were going to Bangalore, and were each (an American girl and an Indian girl) dealing with depression in her own way, and then I had in my mind that the Indian girl would have a charming habit of quoting Beatles songs. So the title was almost inevitable. And it's such a great title and a great song anyway.

I'm having fun with this. No way am I finishing 50,000 words by the 30th, though. I'm at 17.5K and averaging about a thousand a day. As I said to a guy I met in a bookstore, who is also doing NaNoWriMo, "It's not about finishing in a month, it's about giving you an excuse to start."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there... Happened to run into your blog while doing a search on Bangalore, and noticed you're writing about book about this city but wondering what life is like there for character development - I'm an recent grad living in Bangalore from Austin, Texas, working for an MNC, and being a young expat. I've only been here a couple months so far, but have plenty of stories of adventure, mayhem, and pseudo-enlightenment if you're interested - send me an email at launeu@gmail.com