Friday, November 03, 2006

Long ago, Haggard 'staked out gay bars'

A friend tipped me off to this little-noticed line in the April 2005 Harpers magazine story on New Life Church and Ted Haggard -- the first half of which the author, Jeff Sharlett, reprinted in his blog today:
At the time, Colorado Springs was a small city split between the Air Force and the New Age, and the latter, Pastor Ted believed, worked for the devil. Pastor Ted soon began upsetting the devil’s plans. He staked out gay bars, inviting men to come to his church; his whole congregation pitched itself into invisible battles with demonic forces, sometimes in front of public buildings.
Emphasis mine. How clear things seem in the light of day.

Updates:
  • MSNBC profile of Haggard as a "maverick"
  • CNN quotes Haggard: "I called him to buy some meth, but I threw it away. I was buying it for me, but I never used it. I was tempted, I bought it, but I never used it. He told me about it. I went there for a massage."(Thanks, Guru of Nothingness)
  • Colorado Confidential published a nice summary of Thursday's statements and events
  • Interesting Salon article on Colorado Republican politics, especially with respect to gay issues.
  • This screenshot from Google News is interesting: three big foreign papers are playing the scandal for its connection to politics:

, , , ,

No comments: