Friday, June 24, 2005

Destruction of the 60s

Several years ago I visited, for the first time in over 30 years, the northern St. Louis neighborhood where my family lived for many years and where, even after we moved across the river to a small town in Illinois, we continued to return to shop and attend church. On my visit, which took place in the mid-90s, I noted that the two shopping centers my family often went to back in the 1960s had become derelict. Today I ran across this amazing collection of photographs documenting the destruction of Northland, one of the largest non-mall shopping centers in St. Louis in the 50s. The other shopping center we went to was River Roads, now abandoned. Related: BoingBoing posted a link to a site with pictures of shopping malls of the 60s and 70s.

No comments: