Sunday, June 12, 2005

Mister weekday on the weekend

I'm sorry my posts are mostly made on weekdays, but it's because I take little mental breaks at work, or look at websites while I'm uninstalling and re-installing software, and then I have lots of material to post about. On the weekend, on the other hand, I do little web surfing. I make my own news, and a lot of it just isn't that remarkable. This weekend, though, was somewhat of an exception.

On Friday I went to the TransForming Community spoken word event at the LGBT Center, and it was surprisingly good. Not nearly as much cant as I expected, and Michelle Tea, who produced the event, did a good job of organizing, stage-managing and (I suspect) editing. Even the Q and A session was well done.

I accompanied Christine, one of my best friends, who is in town to hang a painting in the Fresh Meat in the Gallery show. And the next day she had brunch with me and Cris, after which we went to visit Jenny and my ex, Catherine, at Cath's Oakland house. Catherine and her boyfriend Brandy bought the place last year, a small Craftsman house on a good block a few blocks from MacArthur station. Yesterday we sat out on the patio and had tea and took a bunch of pictures of each other in the garden -- I'll post them when I get them. The visit gave me the same feeling as when I went to her house last weekend for her housewarming: deep satisfaction at Catherine's success in America. When she came to the U.S. from France 21 years ago she was in her early 20s and planned to stay for just the summer. She was a dancer who didn't even have a high school diploma. Since then she got her GED, a bachelor's degree, a master's, and MFT certification. And now her own house. I'm so proud of her.

I did say she was my ex. We were married for a few years in the mid-80s. One of the greatest people I know.

I got back from that and it was only five o'clock. Cris wanted to spend the evening working, so I went to the ballgame. And since the treadmill had gone on the fritz a couple days ago, I decided to walk the two miles to and from the ballpark. Good idea, though the Giants lost.

This week the Giants play the Twins in Minnesota; the Twins will probably kick their butts. I hope Alexis, who's going to the game Tuesday, will give me a report.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know I will.