Tuesday, March 22, 2005

He also said "You can't make software without breaking the build"

Look, it's the perfect shirt for tech writers. Unfortunately, they seem to be out of men's sizes.

RTFM stands for "read the fucking manual." Of course, no one does. I have to explain to my mother every time I call just what a manual is -- because she never reads them either. Nevertheless, I am still employed, along with a shrinking legion of technical writers.

A couple weeks ago I talked to a former boss. She had recently come back from Bangalore where she helped start a team of tech writers there. One shudders at the thought, though all they're going to do is write "release notes" on updated code -- and release notes are the most gnomic kinds of documentation there are. If you can't understand them, it's almost better.

No comments: