Thursday, March 31, 2005

Charles in existential hell

If there had never been an "I want to be your tampon" story; if there had never been a Diana marriage and death; if he had not lived his entire life waiting for his mother to die -- you would know everything you need to know about Prince Charles from his recent encounter with the press:

"'I can't bear that man anyway. He's so awful, he really is. I hate these people,' Charles added as a not so sotto voce running commentary to his sons when [a journalist] ruthlessly probed the prince's feelings about his forthcoming wedding. For public consumption, he merely said: 'I am glad you have heard of it.'

The mumbled exchanges began with Charles asking his two sons: 'Do I put my arms around you?'

Prince William replied: 'No, don't, but you can take the horrible glasses away.'

Charles said: 'Do not be rude about my glasses, I couldn't bear it if you were.'

Urged by a member of the press to 'look like you know each other', the two princes leaned into their father, who put his arms around them.

Charles then muttered: 'What do we do?'

William replied: 'Keep smiling, keep smiling.' "

I'll bet George Bush's hidden audio prompter is starting to look pretty good to the prince right now.

No comments: