Saturday, April 09, 2005

More smut

Hey, I started a new story yesterday, inspired by a friend's exploits. It's the first sex story I've written in a few years. This followed, by a day, working on a sex scene in the novel I'm working on -- and that was the first sex scene I'd done in a few years. I was struck by how comfortable it felt. Speaking last night with Katia, I kept going back to the metaphor of being "sure-footed" and confident as I moved through the scene -- an encounter between a younger woman and a middle-aged man in a hotel room. I know the pacing, the rhythm of a sex scene; I'm down there at the phrase level. Whereas with my usual writing, I'm more at the paragraph level, like a journalist. Maybe that's why the work tends to feel pedestrian when I review it.

Speaking of smut, here's a review of a new book of interviews with genius cartoonist Robert Crumb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A hotel; how very appropriate.

Tease.