Friday, July 07, 2006

British baby boomers inflate their 60s cred

According to a hilarious story in the Guardian (U.K.), adults who lived through the Sixties commonly exaggerate their experiences from that decade, claiming to have taken acid, met the Beatles, and generally rocked out -- when in fact rather few of them did.

The most interesting part is that the article says the people who are lying about how hard they rocked are doing this to impress -- not each other -- but their kids. It seems to me that American parents are more likely to do the opposite: to hide from their kids how many drugs they took, how many people they slept with, etc. But perhaps that's just a stereotype.

For the record, I was only 13 in 1969, and I lived in the Midwest, so I rather missed the 60s (and half the 70s, since I did not arrive at college until the fall of 1974). My partner, however, is 4.5 years older than me, and she grew up in San Francisco. She definitely did not miss the 60s; she has some stories to tell.

No comments: