Monday, July 03, 2006

Coulter's 'plagarism'

The NY Post ran what is, for the post, a long article on plagarism allegations against the ultra-conservative bomb-thrower and gross-looking bimbo Ann Coulter.

Much as I would love to see Coulter humiliated in the way Rush Limbaugh has been by his drug problem -- not that it's stopped Limbaugh that I've noticed -- I find myself rather underwhelmed by the examples given in the Post article. Clearly what's happened is that one of her research minions fed her quotes she simply rewrote as her own words, but the examples don't seem very extensive. And does she even compose the books attributed to her, or is that done by some shadowy ghost-writers?

The whole thing, especially that picture of her that makes it look like she's had a really bad boob job, makes me want to run screaming for the exits. And look, it's already past six o'clock. Time to turn on the ballgame.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being no Ann Coulter fan myself, I feel holding off commenting or even taking a stance on this issue until John Barrie provides specific, in context examples of this alleged plagarism. So far, in the article cited, is Barrie's accusation and nothing more. Before I agree or disagree with Barrie's assertions, I want to see the passages, in context, from Coulter's book he claims were plagarized along with the passages, again in context, from the source material from which he accuses Coulter of plagarizing. I also want source materials properly and thoroughly cited. It is then and only then can I properly create an informed opinion on the matter. Otherwise, I feel that logically Barrie's assertions can only be taken with a grain of salt. If there is an online source or sources that will satisfy my criteria, please let me know.

Mark Pritchard said...

Barrie appeared on MSNBC's "Countdown" program last night and seemed to have several pretty good citations. You can read the transcript here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13735478/

Still, I don't find the examples that compelling.

Carl said...

Mark, I already read the transcripts and also watched the segment online. The portions Barrie cited were out of context and weren't sourced well enough to confirm. Plus, as far as the examples he gave are considered flagrant, they were pretty weak. My wife is a professor of English and even she said the examples given, if they were in a student's paper, wouldn't be enough to create a major accusation of plagarism (which is a big deal if a student is found to have committed it). So the bottom line is that Barrie's accusations and assertions so far hold no water. Plus it became apparent early on that Barrie is very anti-Coulter and it's well-known that Olbermann despises her. As such, the segment came off clearly as a hatchet piece and nothing of substance.