Sunday, July 09, 2006

Weekend


Last night to Writers With Drinks with Suzanne Kleid and Shannon O'Leary (pictured) and Anna Hiller, my favorite a.b.t. PhD.

The theme for the night (for the readers, not us) was Drag, and for some reason both Annalee Newitz, who wrote a seafaring story set in the 18th century, and Tamim Ansary, who read a sort of supernatural thriller set in (he said) the 16th century, chose to go historical. I really liked both their pieces -- not only were they funny, well-researched and well performed (except for Annalee inexplicably pronouncing "bow," as in the bow of a ship, to rhyme with "foe") -- but they were simultaneously concise and detailed. We came in as Alana Devich was reading, and I was sorry to miss much of her piece because it sounded really good too.

OK, I am supposed to be working on my novel. Enough fooling around.

, ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everybody knows that the elite pronounciate it "bow" as in "row."

Erm, at least I used the word "bulkhead" correctly.

AN

Anonymous said...

And...I saw you across the room suddenly but then you seemed to evaporate! Dammit!